- Dustin: New house update – still not done. Getting cold in Ohio.
- Adam: Clients stuff. Garage bookshelves 2/3 done!
- WP 5.0 pushed from Nov 19 to 27th
- Adam: Woo Shirt + WCA2 Speaker 2015 Pullover/water / Never Split the Difference (Chris Voss)
- Dustin: Vintage (W) shirt / Water / The President is Missing (James Patterson and Bill Clinton)
- Halloween Candy favorites – Kyle
- Any “toss the desk” interactions from customers? -Kyle
Segment: Personal Question
- Kyle: Gig today
- Adam: All things open! // Dodgers in World Series!
- Adam: GiveWP shirt / Coffee / Building a Story Brand
- Kyle: AffiliateWP t-shirt, University of Michigan hat / apple cider / The Drawing of the Three
- What is an aspect of WordPress which is really not working for you these days? -Nehemiah Harmsen
- Can you tell me how to win the Powerball drawing so I can tell all of my clients to go away and leave me alone? -Paul Oyler
Segment: Open Source Options
- Review responses to our questions.
- Stagnant Side Projects.
- Where to go live for a month.
- Adam: Work. The realization that when I need focused time for work heading to the library. place 49ers! Dodgers – maybe?
- Kyle: That Packers v. Niners game was so good!!!! Also been trying out dark mode in Mojave.
- Twenty Nineteen Theme
- We are now on Spotify!
- Tunbosun Ayinla and Mandy Jones join Sandhills Development
- Kyle – AffiliateWP t-shirt / orange juice / The Drawing of the Three
- Adam- WC Dayton baseball / coffee / Robin
- Given the huge growth of page builders now, it would be interesting to tackle the question that one can sometimes get – well, maybe not really a question, more of a comment with a skeptically-raised eyebrow, of “You’re using a page builder?” And I’ve had that both from individual clients who pretty much wouldn’t know one end of WordPress from the other, and as part of contract jobs where they do. -Vaughn Simons
- WC Jackson Q's Is there a question you were afraid to ask? How big a Charlie Foxtrot is Gutenberg going to be – anonymous
Segment: Deletable History
- Kyle: working on some talks for upcoming WordCamps.
- Adam: just took daughter to work.. She drove!
- Tara: Hanging at the Jersey Shore.
- WP Simple Pay joins Sandhills Development
- John Parris leaves Sandhills Development and joins WP Engine
- Weston Router and Thierry Muller leave XWP and join Google
Adam: WCOC 2016 / Coffee WC2014 mug / finished Your Second Life Begins When You Realize You Only Have One & The Richest Man in Babylon. Reading ROBIN.
Kyle: Mojo Marketplace hoodie over Yith Plugins WCUS17 t-shirt / Coffee from TJ Max / The Drawing of the Three
Tara: Women Who WP Shirt/Black Coffee/ Just finished Little Fires Everywhere (a novel) Celeste Ng. About to start a book of short stories for a book club. Also just ordered the book The Magic of Tiny Business – You Don’t Have to Go Big to Make a Great Living, by Sharon Rowe
- Here's one that's been bothering me lately: if I have several ongoing projects at once, how do I divide up my time? The work requires enough concentration that I lose a lot of productivity if I try to work on multiple projects in the same day, and sometimes in the same week. Do I tell the clients “Okay, YOU get the first week of the month, the next person gets the second week,” or what? Plus of course, they all have urgent issues at the same time It's not made easier by the fact that I have unpredictable health issues that throw me off schedule. – Sally Goetsch
- What is an aspect of WordPress which is really not working for you these days?- Daryl Alexander
- Personal Question
- Unordered Lists
- Kyle: Had a nice time at the annual Sandhills Development team retreat.
- Adam: Working. Kid to turn 18 this month! Crazy! Oh.. and got 2 really nice testimonials! One for the dev work my agency did the other for the podcast!
- Someone from this podcast speaking at WCUS!! (It’s not Adam)
- Matt Mullenweg Announces WordPress 5.0 Release Plan, Estimates Release Candidate to Ship in November
- Kevin McKernan leaves behind agency life and joins a startup called AirDNA
- Mihai Joldis joins Sandhills Development support team
- Mike Schroder moves to GoDaddy
- Adam: Gravity Forms t-shirt, coffee in special mug. Paul Mosca from MoteeAPP • Empty Bowls Fundraiser,
- The Richest Man In Babylon
- Kyle: AffiliateWP t-shirt and Sandhills Development hoodie / Covfefe / The Drawing of the Three
- This is about theme building. I’m wondering whether I’ll need a paid license for using scripts like fancybox if I’m submitting a free theme to WordPress. Probably no for free themes? Then, what if someone using this free theme with fancybox built-in is trying to sell something on the site? Is it the site owner’s responsibility to pay for fancybox license?
- What is the biggest question relating to WordPress or the web or your work that you are struggling with right now? aking sure sites are ready for Gutenberg.
Segment: Tag(Line) your it!
- Kyle: picking up lots of sticks
- Adam: Didn’t go to WCLAX. Really wanted to. Surprise my SoCal peeps. // Managing time, clients. New client via referral.
- WPForms has acquired Pirate Forms
- Russell Aaron changes jobs
- Chris Wiegman goes to WP Engine
- Adam: Coffee/Water WC Los Angeles 2016 shirt and not reading at the moment!?
- Kyle: WordCamp US 2017 t-shirt / Coffee / The Drawing of the Three
- Looking for advice on how to stay in touch (in a non-annoying, natural way) with former clients and contacts (people I meet at conferences, former coworkers etc.) -Emily Patterson
- WC Jackson Q: What is the biggest question relating to WordPress or the web or your work that you are struggling with right now Answer: How to find good themes (companies) / decide about builder tools so each website project isn't starting from scratch. -Nehemiah Harmsen
- Season 2 of Up and Vanished
- Morten wrote about WordPress LTS
- Disgraceland podcast
- A Good Firm Handshake
- Bunny Ears
- Elon Musk on Joe Rogan
- Broken Record podcast
- Sara’s latest videos
- Every Packers game
- Kyle: working on exercising more
- Adam: managing a bunch of projects – a good thing. Hurricane Florance aka Florence
- Sara: MIX Design Day
- Adam: Coffee, WC Nashville WPEngine 2017, Fall until you Don’t & Robin
- Kyle: Water, AffliateWP Shirt, The Drawing of the Three
- Sara: Comfy clothes / Coffee and a protein shake / Setting the Table
- I work with mostly larger organizations, and I'd love to get more business from other departments. But this has been difficult. People can be very proprietary about their contractors (ex. had a client tell me she wasn't referring me to another department for additional work because: “I don't want XYZ team using up all your time!”). Other times, the org knows me for only one specific skill. ~ Emily Patterson
- What is the biggest question relating to WordPress or the web or your work that you are struggling with right now? His Answer: SEO (Peter B)
- Tag(line) You’re It
- Vague Rant Up
- Adam: Back from an amazing vacation in Paris.
- Kyle: Moved into a new house. Celebrated daughters 1st birthday and had a tornado across the street!
- Joel Worsham leaves Real Big Marketing and joins DMI as a Software Engineer
- Rebecca Gill moves to emagine:
- Petition to remove Gutenberg from WordPress core.
- ClassicPress – Torgue interview
- Adam: French Coffee + French Water, WC Asheville Shirt & not reading anything!
- Kyle: Coffee, WC Kent 2018 shirt, The Drawing of the Three
- How to decide which tasks to outsource and when you should start outsourcing? Tara Claeys
- What are examples of jargon you heard people talk about but don't understand?
Segment: Deletable History
- The Show: @get_options
- Kyle: @MrKyleMaurer
- Adam: @heyadamsilver
- SOUNDCLOUD @get_options
- Kyle: Cracked rib. Missed no WordCamp speaking engagements.
- Adam: Happy 20th to my wife.. “Tomorrow”. / kids are in school YAHOO!
- Andrea Rennick leaves CopyBlogger to do quilting full time
- Adam: GiveWP / Coffee / 12 Week Year
- Kyle: Gravity Forms / Caribou Coffee / The Drawing of the Three
- How do you get the info you need to give an accurate quote? In the easiest way possible for both me and the prospective client. -Rene
- Who has the best daughter? -Avalon
Segment: Open Source Options
- Stagnant side projects?
- Where should I go live for a month?
- Kyle: We are live at WordCamp Jackson!
- Adam: Same o sameo. Got 2 proposals done. Back from WC Asheville, spoke! Had a great time!
- Adam: Woo Ninja / Coffee & Water / Cash Flow Quadrant
- Kyle: OptinMonster t-shirt / Water / The Drawing of the Three
- Andy: WP Pride t-shirt / Water / The Coaching Habit
- How do you respond to “I can get a website for $200.”? – Sally Gradle
- I still occasionally end up taking taking low cost jobs, below £500, especially when it's either this or nothing. Another variation of @Sally Gradle question is how to respond when a potential client presents ridiculously low quotes from other developers they spoke to in the middle of our chat — Natalie Smith
- Deletable History
- Unordered Lists
This weeks episode is sponsored by:
Save 20% when you use these links: