- Kyle: Attended WC Detroit which was awesome. Gave a talk about WordPress life hacks which went really well. Also attended MicroConf and loved it.
- Adam: WC Raleigh, went well.
- 15 year Tshirt on swag store. 15% off using “CELEBRATEWP15’ code.
Rob Walling left Drip (wife shelly) zen founder podcast
- Adam: running attire/water / fearless flyer from Trader Joes
- Kyle: WC A2 shirt/ hoodie/coffee Ambr Detroit mug / Fatal Alliance
- What is the best (but still affordable) way to manage a staging environment for building a new client's website? -Guy Cicinello
- When you know another platform delivers better results in a clients' specific industry, do you refer them out, learn the platform or tell them you'll make WordPress sing for them? -Jen Miller
- Unordered Lists
- Adam: Prepping for WC Raleigh and to buy Kyle’s house.
- Kyle: Prepping to potentially move. Writing WordCamp talks.
- Kyle – GiveWP t-shirt, Coffee, Fatal Alliance
- Adam- SiteLock Red / iThemes hoodie, 49ers + coffee(SDSU) – no reading this week!
Question 1: Tracking time question by Stephen Harvey
- Kyle: Playing with new update to Garage Band and wrote a new song!
- Adam: Taxes. Oh My. Signed up officially to be mentor for WordCamps. Giving back to #Community. WordPress Essentials Course relaunched and reg now open!
- Kyle: Yith Plugins WCUS 2017 t-shirt
- Adam: coffee / WP trucker hat (from WCA2)
- I realised a little while ago that while my business (Gamajo) is aimed at end clients (custom development for marketing departments), my personal brand is aimed at developers, and peers within the community. I've created a new site for my personal brand (domain, WP install, but no content yet). I want it to be somewhere where I could:- blog about Genesis, how to organise a WP meetup, web accessibility, differences in the English variants, OOP, my business progress and freelancer problems etc. i.e. document my knowledge so that it may benefit others.
– potentially have a free email course, and premium course for how to build an accessible theme, or how to use code standards tools etc. i.e. monetize my knowledge.
– list my speaking and contributions credits in the WP/PHP world.
Question for the podcast: How do I go about working out what my mission is for all of that? It's trying to build my personal brand, but why? Why should anyone care about this new site? What's the value for them? I do believe that the content I could write would be useful for someone, but trying to consolidate the rationale for having the site in the first place, has me stuck.
- I’d love to know what goes into choosing a location for a remote team’s retreat. – Sara Dunn
Segment: Deletable History
Kyle: Played clip from his second ever WordCamp talk. It was a workshop about shortcodes at WordCamp Chicago 2014. He learned lots of important lessons including not getting derailed by Q&A, preparing more thoroughly, not relying on humor in the slides, and rehearsing every part of the session.
Adam: Described his experience giving the same workshop a second time and discovering that the talk going well the first time did not mean it would work perfectly the second time.
- Kyle: watching lots of nature shows on Netflix. Making lots of correlations between the struggles of creatures in the wild and our own problems.
- Adam: also watched Earth 2 – islands – with kids! Really enjoyed it.
- WordSesh is back
- Kyle – Jetpack shirt, WC Chicago hoodie & 2nd cup of java from sbux.
- Adam- OptinMonster T Shirt. Coffee
- There are many networking meetups in my area. How do I choose the ones that are best for networking for new business? — from Sally Gradle
- I know you all are into podcasts, so… What’s the best podcast episode you’ve listened to recently, and why? — from Sara Dunn
Our choices from Sara's question
- Shop Talk Show – One on One with a Hacker
- James Bonding: Octopussy with Roman Mars
- Song Exploder – Nine Inch Nails
- Reply All – The World’s Most Expensive Free Watch
- Reply All – Long Distance
- Mystery Show – Source Code
- Joe Rogan – Reggie Watts
- Hidden Brain I, Robot
- BobWP Neighborhood – Andrea Middleton
- Very Bad Words – Swearing in Foreign Languages
- Philosophy Bites – The Right to Exclude
- Revisionist History
Segment: Unordered Lists
Kyle asked Adam to list people who have asked questions for this show.
Adam asked Kyle to list WP-CLI commands.
Kyle won decisively, per usual.
- Adam: Sore back!
- Kyle: got some exercise yesterday. End of Winter Sale for Sandhills Development products went well.
- Offensive Lyrics Removed From Hello Dolly + musical icon to be added?
- Let’s Encrypt Wildcard Certificates Are Now Available
- Hey WordPress Plugin Developers, Stop Supporting Legacy PHP Versions In Your Plugins
- Kyle: WC North Canton Speaker 2015 hoodie / coffee & water.
- Adam: 2016 Sitelock shirt. Coffee by JILT!
- What are some options to get google to index my site?
- Why would I want to use a CSS Pre-processor
Segment: Vague Rant Up
- Adam: Grocery Shopping.
- Kyle: People who use the threat of switching to competitors to try and get better/faster service.
- Adam: Attended WordCamp Miami 2018 and had a wonderful time.
- Kyle: babysat nephew for a week and discovered just how boring he's become.
People on the Move
- Tyler Lau joined Sandhills Development
- Kassandra Aguilera joins DigiSavvy
- Kyle: WC Chicago 2016 Hoodie, + WordCamp Dayton 2015 tshirt.
- Adam: WC US 2016 Shirt & Coffee
- I'm a writer. What can I do to grow my list of email subscribers? – Pat Robertson
- Sales question/offer for our show?!
Segment: “Unpopular Opinions”
- Kyle: Does not like gifs.
- Adam: Does not like it when people lie and say they “just ran out” of business cards.
- Kyle: Does not use Yoast SEO.
- Kyle: Attended T&C Summit in San Diego.
- Adam: Juggling all balls.
People on the Move / aka Changes
- Kyle: Flywheel t-shirt, Sucuri water bottle, WP Engine flask, David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
- Adam: Woo Themes t-shirt, Gypsy vodka and cranberry , so good they cant ignore
1. What is the significance of colors on your website?
- Good talks
2. Re: seniors starting a career in WP: Remote work seems really cool and definitely appealing for someone like myself who has spent his career doing physically demanding work and will not be able to do so forever. Do seniors nearing retirement age ever start careers in WordPress? Do you think it is possible for someone older to learn enough to become employable in your industry? If so, how long would it take?
Kyle and Adam share a bunch of their favorite podcasts and shows that you really can't miss.
- Kyle: Heading to TCS next week, published a two part blog posts on EDD site:
- Adam: Will be attending WordCamp Greenville
It's Music Time
- “On Page One” – song about SEO by Kyle. Parody of “Anna Sun” by Walk the Moon.
- Tammie Lister and Mattias Ventura were interviewed on Shop Talk Show
- Really great post about SaaS pricing experiments
- Adam bleeding from the WP Battle button
- Kyle: WC Chicago 2016 hoodie / Coffee / Deciding on next book of fiction to read.
- Adam: WC Chicago 2016 t-shirt / Java Time Coffee / Deep Work by Cal Newport
- How do you graciously decline a project when you just don't want to work with the client? – Akai Suddeth
- Hey Guys, I am fairly new to WordPress, relatively speaking. I seem to have gotten involved at quite a tumultuous time, with so much to learn in “basic” WordPress now and Gutenberg on the horizon. My question is – would it be beneficial to start learning a page builder (Elementor intrigues me after watching Troy Dean’s video), or at this point should I just wait for Gutenburg to roll out and not worry about unlearning something else? ~ Dustin Younker
Unordered Lists Segment
- Adam: Name movies with Morgan Freeman
- Kyle: Name release names of WordPress
- Super duper interesting issue thread for Gutenberg
- Going Gutenberg PII article from The Events Calendar team
- Google getting serious about WordPress
Kyle’s Tavern Comments song with an Ukele
People on the Move / aka Changes
- Kyle: WordPress shirt / Coffee
- Adam: WC PHX shirt — / coffee / The Big Picture by Tony Horton
- I'm frustrated with the number of people who RSVP to my meetups and then don't show up. Do you have any advice for helping get people to show up, or at least change their RSVP to “No”? ~ Rene Morozowich
- What is Bootstrap? ~ Kelly
New Segment: The Vague Rant Up
- Adam: Email settings in Dashboard
- Kyle: Developers who are pretentious
- Adam: Life is good.
- Kyle: interviewed on Jeff Large’s show. Watched the olympics opening ceremony.
- WordPress 4.9.3 and 4.9.4 a day later
- WP-CLI has a new version out. Version 1.5 lets you verify the integrity of your installed plugins and do pretty much anything you want with wp-config.php, to name just two of the new release highlights.
- Kyle: WP Engine hat and Restrict Content Pro t-shirt / Coffee / Latest edition of Toastmaster Magazine
- Adam: WC NEO baseball shirt, coffee, Richard Branson’s book The Virgin Way
People on the Move / aka Changes
- We have brought on three part timers for EDD support on trial. Going well after one week.
- Thanks to Josh Eby and ccl2748 for the reviews.
- What techniques do you guys use when you have so much to do you're frozen into inaction? Argh. Need to reboot my brain or something. P.S. Do you know of a VA or WordPress savvy assistant who can use some extra work? – Leslie Surel
- How do you personally see Gutenberg impacting the WordPress theme economy? – Rich Tabor
- UNORDERED LISTS