- Kyle: Oh, not much going on really. Went from 1 child to 5!
- Adam: working.. Planning. Launching. All the things! GitIdiot.com
- Adam – Hired new Social Media Mgr – for backupspeaker.com
- Taylor Jackson is a new Application Support Specialist at Sandhills Development
- Adam: WC Birmingham hoodie / water/coffee / The Art of Invisibility
- Kyle: Digital Summit Detroit t-shirt, GoDaddy hat / Egg Nog / The Last Wish
- What options do you have when it comes to being offered a job that that you are qualified for, but is oddly low in salary/scale for the role. -Anon
- It’s Joey from Singapore. Glad to hear that the show is coming back (and Kyle is, too)! My question is this. Have you thought about leaving WordPress? Or, in what kind of situations do you see yourself leaving WordPress? When WordPress is no longer the top choice CMS? When WordPress foundation makes a bad call? As of today, I don’t see my leaving WordPress at all, though! Thanks and happy holiday season!
Segment: Bomb Dot Com – 3 ideas
- Adam: Hack. Clients Birthday! oh my .
- Scott: Painting house! Not tan.
- Adam: WCSD 2015 / Water / Traction (via book club)
- Scott : WCUS 2017 / Tea / not reading!!
- To stay relevant and not get complacent in my current job, I’ve been interviewing.. (via zoom) a few times per month since Covid started. I want to stay sharp with that skill.. The issues is, I’m not really looking to move companies, but have been offered a few of the jobs! .. so.. how can i politely decline job offers that I never intended to accept in the first place? -Name withheld per request
- I’m looking for a new job and have had some interviews recently. The issue I have is that in my current job, the company (along with myself) are under NDA’s. How do I work around that in the interview as I can;’t give too many details if any on the projects. -Stefanie
Segment: Bomb Dot Com – 3 ideas
- TheQuarantinePod.com — educational
- getoffmylawnpunk.com – blog
- PunchTheClown.com – satire
- Sally: All monitored systems are functioning within established parameters. I’m excited to be on the same podcast as Sara Dunn was!
- Adam: Biz as usual Happy BDAY to Ellen. // finances caught up! Regarding our book club!
- WordPress iOS App – Apple store .. in app purchases..
- Adam: WC OC 2014 / water / The Organized Mind
- Sally : T-shirt I bought on vacation last year/unsweetened iced tea/Profit First
- What do you think is the role of a website in the era of social media?For example, recently I went to a clothes store after finding it on Facebook. On their Facebook page, there was a button to contact by WhatsApp, so I clicked it to ask for a question, which was instantly answered. The store seemed very popular without having a website. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Take care. 🙂 – JOEY
- How do I tell my team lead I can’t complete something? case and point: I was trying to implement some new functionality and i said it would take me about 7 days of work. 4 weeks later.. I just couldn’t quite get it to work. I finally sucked it up and told my boss the situation and though he wasn’t mad, he was disappointed. -Julie R.
Segment: Bomb Dot Com
- Unfinishedprojects.com help with projects or just wall of shame
- Yesdear.com arguments you have lost
- imstealingthat.com inspired by Adam and ideas he steals
- stickishnotes.com: a lower quality post it not that doesn’t stick much.
- Imprettyok.com: daily blog on feelings?!
- Thewaydoesnotexist.com: business blog on reaching for goals.?
Follow us each online
- Adam: @heyadamsliver
- Sally: @YepItsSal
- SOUNDCLOUD @get_options
The Get Options Podcast – Episode 135
- Kyle: I’ve been doing some long-distance running.
- Adam: It. Is. Done! Launched the new site! BackupSpeaker.com Good night! 😉 / Taking time off — I think.
- Jeremy Ward joins Rocket Genius
- Matt Medeiros leaves Pagely. Heads to CastosHQ as Director of Podcaster Success.
- Adam: GOP / caffeine / Everything is Figureoutable, Marie Forleo
- Kyle: SiteGround hat, Restrict Content Pro t-shirt / orange juice / Meaningful Work by Shawn Askinosie
- I was hired recently at a company in a marketing role. Then COVID hit. The issue is my 6-month review has come and gone, and I was told that there may be a raise at 6 months if goals were hit. I’m pretty sure I hit them. How do I bring that up without sounding greedy, especially in these days of the pandemic? -anonymous
- I’m at a point where I need to hire to grow my service but really can’t afford it myself. What are some options in getting funding? Should I ask family? Put the word out online? Venture capital? Angel Investors? Exchange for equity? -Owen Goulding
Segment: Unordered Lists
- Dustin: got new “W” MacBook Pro 2 times!!
- Adam: Taught money lesson to son#1: Too good to be true it is! Side hustle: BackupSpeaker.com is launching!
- Adam: Do What you Love (WeWork) & Beaver Builder Hat / Water / So Many Books!
- Dustin: Woo Commerce payments shirt/water / Think and Grow Rich
- In the past, I’ve been both “let go” aka fired and “laid off” Whats options would you suggest if asked about those positions when interviewing for a new job on sharing the situation? -Mark B
- Audio clip from Kyle: What song should I make next?
- Podcasts: Nested Folders, Rabbit Hole, The Perfect Scam
- Documentary: Magnetic, Inside Bill’s Brain (gates), Fittest in Dubai
- Show: space force
- All the Marvel movies
- All AppleTV+ (Greyhound, The Morning Show, The Titan Games)
- Think and Grow Rich
- Atomic Habits
- The Bullet Journal (ebook)
- The Whoop Podcast
- Learn to code w/dot me podcast
- Fitness/Cross fit content
- Kyle: 2020 is half over now.
- Adam: New client project w/Project Mgr! // backupspeaker.com about to launch!! // up to 4 workouts with F3 and feeling good.
- Adam: W Trucker Hat / Ashwaganda Tea / 2 books! – Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy & Retire Before Mom & Dad
- Kyle: North Stack hat / Coffee / Meaningful Work by Shawn Askinosie
- How do you find remote employees? -Serena Dawn
- Have you ever put mascara on your eyelashes? –Raquel Landefeld
Segment: Vague Rant Up
- Kyle: Celebrated Father’s Day.
- Adam: Celebrated Father’s Day/ I won a book!
- Scott: Celebrated Father’s Day & life marches on.
- Adam: WCLAX VIP WP HAT / H20 / TAO TE CHING
- Kyle: Open.film t-shirt / Cranberry juice / Meaningful Work by Shawn Askinosie
- Scott: gravity forms t-shirt. Water wc denver bottle / not reading
- Hi Adam and Kyle, it’s been a while. My first question here! How do you see website design trends evolving in the next 5 to 10 years? Nowadays, we see a lot of websites using a full-page/full-screen (like Adam’s ConciergeWP website), compared to those fixed-width websites (e.g. 800 pixels) often seen in the past. Personally, I like the look of a simple two-column design (sidebar on the left), but I’m not sure if such design is seen as old-school or timeless. I would love to hear your thoughts! —Joey J
- What are some options/ etiquette for a code review for a pull request? -Stephen
Segment: Deletable History
- Kyle: Happy New Year!
- Adam: Schools out for the summer! // Kids need jobs/car?
- PHP Marks 25 Years! WP Tavern article.
- Adam: WC Raleigh tshirt / JAVA / Douglas Adams book(s)
- Kyle: Sandhills hoodie + WC Jackson 2018 shirt / Coffee / Meaningful Work by Shawn Askinosie
- Do you think online meetups will be here to stay beyond COVID-19? Since meetups were moved online, I’ve been attending not only local (Singapore) WordPress meetups but also those hosted in Sydney, etc. as there is little time difference from where I live. I’ve enjoyed attending overseas meetups and would love them to continue hosting online. Any thoughts on the future of WordPress meetups? I also miss the in-person meetups, so hopefully, both will be mixed in the future. -Joey J
LONDON TUBE STUDY: The Benefits of Forced Experimentation: Striking Evidence from the London Underground Network∗
- What are some options with dealing with noisy co-workers.. at the moment its not an issue as we are all homebound, but when our office opens again, we’ll be expected to go into work… the noises.. ..music too loud from one person, and the other smacks/chews gum (and food) really loud! -Ron P
Segment: Personal question
- Kyle: Our company marketing meeting was interrupted by a loose chipmunk in the house.
- Adam: Vaca was great. Domain up for renewal.. Should I keep it?
- Shawn: Making pizza on fire.
- Adam: JetPack / Water / Douglas Adams books
- Kyle: WP Hat, Blogvault T-shirt, Jilt socks / Hard Seltzer / Meaningful Work by Shawn Askinosie
- Shawn: Dickies blue collared shirt / water (soon dirty martini) / Untethered Soul
- I’ve been a developer going on 9 years now and am looking for a change. I’m thinking of management. The issue I have is that I’ve never managed before. How do I apply for a job as a manager without managerial experience? -Name withheld per request
- Someone recently left the company I work for .. not sure exactly why. As they were exiting the position, they asked if I would be open as a job reference…. IMO, they weren’t that good. What should I say? – Thomas S.
Segment: Personal Question
- LinkedIn @shawnaskinosie
- TedTalk : Find Your Calling Where It Hurts | Shawn Askinosie | TEDxOklahomaCity
- Kyle: Flooded basement and a friendly squirrel.
- Adam: Rain. Sun. Short week next week! Vaca!!
- Dustin: New laptop, a staycation next week, home projects galore!
WordPress News: The Get Options question bonanza
We want way more questions! Starting today and going for two weeks, sending us quality questions will earn you rewards.
- 5 questions: Quick thank you and pitch your business or cause
- 10 questions: a song or some other full length produced commercially
- 20 questions: Get Options t-shirt
- Adam: Woo purple / water / Writing Down The Bones /
- Kyle: Nexcess Hosting t-shirt / White Claw hard seltzer (Mango) / Meaningful Work by Shawn Askinozie
- Dustin: Regular uniform – dark gray WordPress T / Spindrift / Story Brand by Donald Miller
- Most of my profession and personal friends are software devs who fall into the age range of 25-35. It’s odd to say the least. Where are the older people? Let's say 50+?submitted by, Kimberly K.
- I work at a medium-sized agency and mostly love my job. The issue is one co-worker who often postpones things. Two issues in this case. 1. they are pretty high up the chain … 2. they are the bottleneck. What are some options to help move things along and keep my job! submitted by -Russell