- Kyle: 10th wedding anniversary coming up. Any ideas?
- Adam: Staffing changes at CWP.
- Joe: Talk about WP Buffs + WPMRR stuff
Supporter Spotlight #1
- Did you know… classicpress.net is still a thing.. active/current info/blog. 😕 → 🙂
- The WordCamp Ann Arbor 2019 schedule is out
Supporter Spotlight #2
- Adam: Gravity Forms t-shirt / Water from WordCamp Miami water bottle / Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
- Kyle: Freemius t-shirt and WordPress cap / Tart Side of the Moon from Brewery Vivant / Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Joe: EDD t-shirt / Matcha / Radical Candor
Question 1: What about how to come up with a business name? This is on my list for this year. I do WP design/dev, care plans and lead gen/email marketing. Would like something to encapsulate that. Don't think I want WP in the name as I don't want to be tied to that (and that's not all I do)
Supporter Spotlight #3
Question 2: How do you measure your ROI on a podcast? Or at least know doing it is worth your time?
- Serena Dawn
Support spotlight #4
Segment: Unordered Lists
- Adam: Summer in full swing. Summer time blues? New camps to mentor assigned.
- Kyle: Remove trees?
- Adam: WCUS 2016 / Coffee + Water / Every Tool’s a Hammer – Adam Savage
- Kyle: LearnDash t-shirt / Coffee / Knight Errant (A Star Wars Tale)
- Someone who would consider themselves an “advanced user”, not a designer or developer. Where would they fit in if looking for employment in the WordPress community? -John Parkinson
- What feature would be the cornerstone of another CMS if it were to overtake WordPress’ prominence? – Alex Gustofson
Segment: Get Meta
- Topic: Should we do another talk together this year?
- Kyle: Very productive while out of the USA. Drinking more… more affordable. Not in excess.
- Adam: Mini vacation was great at a lake house // looking forward to the next one! // One kid done with HS.. actual graduation is in a few days from when this episode goes live.
- Adam: Woo Ninja /Coffee/couple of books..
- Kyle: WCUS 2018 Nashville t-shirt / Cherry tea / Knight Errant
- Would love to hear your thoughts on Gutenberg, now a few months after launch. -Serena Dawn
- WordPress developer interview questions
- Designated Survivor
Documentaries about Auto / Car Racing
- Gentlemen Driver
- Apex: The Story of the Hypercar
- F1: drive to survive
- Pet Shop Boys
- Depeche Mode
- Midnight Oil
- Billy Idol
- Crowded House
- Bronkski Beat
- Tangerine Dream
- Jilt’s team retreat recap 2019
- Matt Mullenweg on The Big Web Show
- Future of Forestry – Slow Your Breath Down
- CNBC story about the mother of a doctor and the CEOs of Youtube and 23&Me
- Game of Thrones Theme Song by rock guitarists
- Interesting Twitter thread about speaker compensation
- Star Wars ep.9 Teaser
- Strong Songs episode about You Can Call Me Al
- Why just getting traffic isn’t the answer
- Confident Couples Podcast: 3 Rules for Arguments
- S.O.S. by The Glorious Sons on Spotify
- First episode of Factually podcast
- Pacific Daydream by Weezer on Spotify
- Weird Al on Bunny Ears podcast
- Kyle: I did not die on a boat.
- Dustin: “Survived” a tornado, well 12 to be exact. And my MacBook stopped charging
- Dustin: Big W shirt /Water / Make Your Bed
- Kyle: Host Duplex t-shirt, WordPress trucker cap/strawberry and cream tea / Knight Errant (A Star Wars tale)
- ### WC Jackson Q's – What is the biggest question relating to WordPress or the web or your work that you are struggling with right now? “WooCommerce -Kim Smith
- AUTOCOMPLETE A new segment where we find interesting WordPress related Google auto-complete queries and answer them in an audio format) // If you type “WordPress i “ into Google, you will get “WordPress i don’t want a blog“. That’s our question.
- Unordered Lists
- Kyle: Hi. I am in another country right now. It is fun.
- Adam: Graduation in a few weeks. College. Carson: Football? BackupSpeaker.com
- Adam: Code is Poetry shirt/ water / Freed to Lead
- Kyle: WCUS 2018 t-shirt / water / Path of Destruction
- Why should someone get involved in organizing a WordCamp? What are the benefits you've experienced? Serena Dawn
- What is the biggest question relating to WordPress or the web or your work that you are struggling with right now? -Anon
Segment: Deletable history.
- Dustin: Sabbatical / Vacation and work trip over / Time for house projects
- Adam: Daughter, Prom. / BackupSpeaker.com / Adam taking vacation days.
- Matt Launches new blog and podcast! Distributed.blog
- Adam: GiveWP / Water // Mindset by Carol S. Dweck
- Dustin: Old School WOO // Protein Shake / Water // Basements Complete
- Can we talk about LinkedIn for a second? Does anyone still use it? Does everyone just accept connection requests from everyone? -Serena Dawn
- Parenting Mistakes?
Segment: Unordered List
- Kyle: We had some trees cut down this week.
- Adam: Went to WCOC..3 year later. Surprised peeps. Saw Avengers: End Game…no spoilers!
- Adam: WC Raleigh 2019 / coffee / The Making of Amazon Prime
- Kyle: GoWP T-shirt & WCA2 Hoodie /Coffee & Juice / Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book 7)
- Got any ideas for recurring revenue for WordPress freelancers (design, dev, etc)? – Serena Dawn
- if my self-employed 14-year-old daughter wants to sell recurring deliveries of Butter Beer in a flask, what Dreamweaver module should she use to bridge WooCommerce with Easy Digital Downloads that would work with Gutenberg – Daniel J Lewis
Segment: Unordered Lists
- Kyle: Spoke at career day at a local elementary school.
- Adam: Had a storm? // signing NDA’s IP © stuff / oh.. And more fun…my daughter picked a college! / WC OC?
- PluginVulnerabilities.com is Protesting WordPress.org Support Forum Moderators by Publishing Zero-Day Vulnerabilities
- Adam: WC Raleigh 2019 / coffee / The One Device: The Secret History of the iPhone
- Kyle: WordCamp Jackson 2018 “Democratize Publishing” t-shirt and WordCamp Chicago 2014 speaker hoodie/orange juice / Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book 7)
- WC Jackson Q: What aspect of WordPress which is really not working for you these days? WP posts to social media (auto or manual) – anonymous item mention: George Carlin “A place for my stuff”
- Hypothetical: would you rather—Be forced to add a slider to the home page or make the logo bigger? – Serena Dawn
- The Personal Question
- Kyle: Yay! Taxes were great this year.
- Adam: 2 week hiatus.. Good: WordCamp Raleigh. Bad: Pulled muscle/location! Ugly: Taxes.
A multitude of plugins with issues
- Bethany Heck and Joshua Goldenberg join the A8C design team
- Tom McFarlin joins WebDev Studios
- Carole Olinger takes time away from Plesk (and contributing to WP)
- Rich Tabor joins GoDaddy
- Adam: Beaver Builder Hat. / water / Howard Shultz book
- Kyle: Nexcess Hosting t-shirt and Wired Tree Hosting hat / chocolate milk / Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book 7)
- Pricing: hourly vs. project. Which is better? When and why? ~ Sally Gradle
- What are some options for me to sell my music? I have a website I have tried both woo commerce and EDD and like them both but I’m also considering getting my music on to Apple or Spotify to reach a broader audience and thought since you are quite the musician yourself, Kyle.. you would be a good person to ask. ~ Allen David
- Tag(line) You’re It
- Kyle: Having trouble with my ice maker and the family room painting project turned into quite the debacle.
- Adam: Just Working. Didn’t go to San Francisco. Bought a 6TB HD to help consolidate all my old drives. Was interviewed on 2 podcasts. March Madness!
- Adam: WCA2 2017 / coffee / Took a break. Still same books as last week!
- Kyle: WordCamp San Diego 2016 t-shirt under Sandhills Development jacket / coffee / nothing, I’m in between books
- Hi guys, As Kyle as indicated, he is happier than ever not having clients and Adam seems to be all in lately, my question is if one were to want to close down their biz and join a company, but has a small team and clients along with re-occurring maintenance contracts, how would you handle that. I don't have a biz partner that I could sell to, so I am unsure how to approach this. -Regor Lledgood
- My kids have expressed some interest in what I do as a WordPress developer and have also said they want to attend a WordCamp. But I wonder, are they serious. How would you gauge true interest to see if it was worth investing the $ on a ticket for them? Would their age come into question for you?
Segments: WordStress & Vague Rant Up